Today, more than 85% of renewable energy comes from rivers and most of the hydropower plants are situated in the hilly areas because hydel plants need the potential difference in the water level to rotate the turbine. Though it is considered as renewable energy, it harms nature at a high extent in its construction. But the problem seems to be solved as a new and innovative concept of hydropower plant has been given by some Belgian engineers who have developed a turbine known as Whirlpool Turbine.
In simple words, it is a low-pressure turbine with a submersible generator fitted inside it which generates electricity that is sufficient to power up to 60 house 24/7 without harming nature as well as aquatic life.
It has been invented by Turbulent, a Belgian company. whose main aim is to make a green Hydel power plant which can make it easy to install at any place and can fulfil the power requirement of rural areas of the world. Currently, in Chil, they had built a 15-kilowatt demonstrative plant.
if you are interested in the automobile you can like my blog on the difference between hydrogen cell cars and electric cars.
How Whirlpool Turbine works
One of the most dangerous forms of energy is Eddy and in Sea, it is Whirlpool, which is so much powerful and destructive that it can sink even Big ships. But here engineers are using the same destructive energy in a constructive way to generate electricity.
Let’s see how
They dig the land beside the water source as in the picture and then construct a channel with the concrete.
After that, the main component turbine is fitted in the lower core of the basin. This turbine generates electricity with the help of a submersible generator which is fitted inside it.
Also, a gate is provided in the channel to control the excess of water flow to maintain the required pressure of water and save the turbine. As the water starts to flow whirlpool is generated and which gives the energy to rotate the turbine and generate electricity. A very small Power Station is also built near it to distribute electricity in surrounding areas.
this article has been published in 3 different languages English, Hindi जानिए कैसे Whirlpool Turbine मुफ्त में ग्रामीण क्षेत्रों के लिए इलेक्ट्रिसिटी पैदा कर सकता है। and german Whirlpool-Turbine Eine Neuerung, Um Die Ländlichen Gebiete Zu Beleuchten you can select the language according to your preferences.
Advantages Whirlpool turbines
- It is small and compatible so that can be installed near any water source if it provides the required water level difference.
- It doesn’t harm the aquatic life because it is a low-pressure turbine and hence fishes have no danger.
- It is also cheaper to install, as in conventional hydro plant it is required to construct either big dams or tunnels, which costs too high.
- It also saves from high expenditure on electricity transportation, which involves the setup cost of a bigger power station and electric poles, wires and so many workers.
- It has low maintenance and high durability also no engineering required after its installation.
Limitations of Whirlpool turbine
- It stops working only if water freezes ( but it’s not a big limitation because running water never freeze).
- Its electricity generating capacity is very low that is only in Kilowatt.
In Chile, they had already installed a 15-kilowatt demonstrative plant.
Engineers are now working to increase its power generating capacity in megawatt
you can visit the company’s official website for more information here is the link given www.turbulrnt.be
If you want to purchase any, they have different models of Whirlpool turbine you can order any of them according to your requirement.
please don’t forget to give us your valuable feedback comment your view in the comment box.
my trending blog on 10 best indoor air purifier plants